Thursday, July 24, 2008

Crazy Mom Club




I am now an official card-carrying member of the "Crazy Mom Club". Here's why: with Cameron's 1st birthday quickly approaching, many friends have asked me, "What is she going to wear?" Although I had a cute summer dress picked out, it suddenly became apparent to me that this dress will not do, and there is clearly only ONE thing that my daughter can wear to her first birthday party: the dress on the invitation. I was so pleased with the cute invitations I found online for the party, and as you can see, there is an adorable hand-drawn party dress on the front. When I mentioned this idea to my husband he thought it was great and asked me where I could buy the dress. Cute. No, unfortunately this dress would not be available in any store, or even on the world wide web. I would have to make the dress. Now this is amusing for several reasons, the biggest of which being, I cannot sew. Deterred, I was not. I called upon my crafty friends and family members and requested they help me, the now crazy mama. Aunt Bridget and Mom were troopers and at this point are quite used to me being a "visionary" without the talent to bring my vision to life (this is where they come in). So to make a long story short (too late, I know) there we were, the three of us, like Fairy Godmothers, creating this dress for our little Cinderella, if you will. I cannot express how happy I am with the result and how thankful I am for Cami's Fairy Godmothers!! The dress is so perfect, and even better than what I had envisioned!

Today, as I was gluing the rick rack onto the bottom of our creation (yes, I said gluing--it was the only way, and yes, I said 'rick rak' too which has to impress some of you that I know what that is and can use it correctly...) I thought to myself that this was only the beginning. There will be many dance costumes, Halloween costumes, school play production costumes and even school projects that I will be helping Cami create over the next 18 years, as I am sure my mom can attest to. I vaguely remember my mother helping me turn a shoebox and a wrapping paper roll into a giraffe once, but I digress...

The point is that I am proud of myself, and my vision. I am proud of the final product. I am proud of Cami's Fairy Godmothers who are the talent behind my visions, and who will be needed in the future, I am sure. And I am proud to be a card-carrying member of the "Crazy Mom's Club"--because my daughter is going to look gorgeous at her first birthday bash!!

2 comments:

Erin Burns said...

That post seriously BLEW MY MIND! Not that I didn't think you are capable...but more just...you've come SO FAR! And I am so proud and impressed. The invitations are adorable and the dress to die for. I can't believe she is already ONE!

Isn't it amazing the lengths we will go to for our little ones!? Who would of thought Jenn would ever use ric-rac in a sentence! I know Cami will be beautiful and happy on her big day. I can't wait to hear and see all about it.

We got her something special at CC Roo today and it is going to the post office tomorrow AM! One thing is something my girls wore on their first birthdays and I just couldn't resist.
xoxoxox from a proud card carrying member of the CMC!

Jax said...

I am also very proud!!! I never want to hear you say you aren't crafty AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! She is going to look so perfect in this gem!!! Cannot wait to see the dress in action!!!! Are you wearing a matching one??? I love you!!!!!!!!!!!